Thursday, July 27, 2017

Those who wait

A poem about resilience.

Those who wait

We spend our whole lives waiting;
for what, we do not know.
And what do we have to show,
but years of broken dreams?

Always anticipating,
something better will arise
to fill our weary eyes.
Impossible, it seems.

With energy abating,
can we soldier on
when what we know is gone?
Is despair the theme?

Upon our nerves grating,
the droning of the days
stuck in this malaise
losing all our steam.

Are we contemplating
what happens if we fall,
or do we care at all
for those we leave behind?

All the time spent hating,
fists bang against the past.
Yet it will stand fast,
never us to mind.

With such things stagnating,
what are we to do?
Well, from me to you,
do not be so blind.

This I am here stating:
each day is a chance
for good to advance.
What is lost, we find.

6 comments:

  1. I get it. You're a gloomy Gus. I am sure birds of a feather will flock to you. Once again: in reality, the world functions perfectly. It's simply a selection of people that had nothing to do with a functioning world that messes it up. Don't end up being part of the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Putting on a happy face would be dishonest. I have simply stated how things are. What they will be, remains to be seen.

      Delete
  2. The last few lines of hope shine bright enough to keep the darkness of the rest of this poem at bay. Reflects the world as it is very well, may our light shine bright enough to reach those lost within the shadows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darkness flees in the presence of light. The brighter it is, the fewer shadows there are to hide in. Let it shine, and you will be surprised what you find.

      Delete
  3. This is an eloquent poem. I know you meant every word. I am sorry I brought so much imperfection into what was perfect by design. I didn't shake things up on purpose. Someone else did. He's not sorry about it. On the contrary: it's the one thing he never regrets. Peace be with you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poem is not about placing blame. I am simply communicating how I feel. We shall see how things turn out.

      Delete