Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Plotting and scheming

Writing a story requires a strategy. First you must decide what the story is about. I usually have a basic idea and then I set about the task of creating characters. After all, it is their story.

Since I know them as people, I am aware of what they will do in a given situation. Thus, it requires only a simple scenario and the tale launches itself! A framework develops, based on the characters' decisions. And everything gets deeper.

The friction that is born serves to move the story along. Especially, when the villain makes their move. Choices are made and consequences ensue. The work builds toward a climax.

It is always difficult to decide what to reveal and what to withhold. But it is my preference to let things come out naturally. I do not determine what my characters will say: I let them speak for themselves. Likewise, I leave them to their own thoughts and feelings.

Will they do things that I would not? Yes. Will they take liberties with my idea? Yes. And the tale moves in new and unexpected directions. It is up to me to adapt to the potent mix of personalities: I bring order to chaos.


1 comment:

  1. One of the things I find amazing is how it is possible to take multiple sides while writing. You kind of have to if you ever want to communicate the complicit as plausible. It is all apart of the art of writing, and not everyone can do it. You have to leave yourself behind and become two different people who are not you.

    ReplyDelete